Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 1

This blog is dedicated to people planning to take PE exam with geotechnical engineering in the afternoon. During my preparation, I found that some of the available references were very inadequate in the area of soil mechanics. I welcome questions and problems in geotechnical engineering from anyone who is preparing for the PE exam (you can ask even if you are not preparing for the PE exam). I'll try to post one or two problems every day and their solutions a day after, that'll give everybody sometime to work out their solutions. Alright guys, the problems start tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks layad, I really appreciate you help.

    When we have a footing and the question is to calculate qult. could you tell me if the following formula of Terzaghi is approved by the NCEES.
    qult= c(Nc)(Sc)+ (d)(Den)Nq +1/2B(Den)(Ny)(Sy)

    Den=Unit weight
    for sand c=o,so 1st. term is canceled.
    for clay friction=0 Ny=o the 3rd term canceled

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is the basic equation to evaluate the ultimate bearing capacity of shallow foundations.

    ReplyDelete